Friday, February 29, 2008

Ministry opportunity

Ok, it's not as glamorous as it sounds....Paul and I have been asked to volunteer in our church's baby nursery. Tomorrow morning we have to -- will be privileged to attend a "nursery workers training" meeting so we can learn how to take care of babies. LOL

This evening we each filled out a 7 page "Ministry Volunteer Application Packet & Ministry Intent Form", which includes general information such as our address & phone #, a section about our Christian experience, another section on our Christian ministry experience, a list of personal references, and last but certainly not least, an authorization for a criminal background check. I'll tell you what, these people take their volunteer ministry positions seriously! Ü One question in the Christian ministry section asked me to list any special abilities that I feel would benefit the area in which I am applying to volunteer. The only thing I wrote was "18 years experience as a mother who has literally changed thousands of dirty diapers." Do ya think that might qualify as a "special ability"? hahahahaha

The completed application will be kept in our "permanent file" at the church. It reminds me of my elementary school days, when every grade in every class, every standardized test score, every visit to the principal's office (and no, I wasn't ever sent to the principal's office, I was a good girl!...lol), every honor and award....all ended up in my "permanent file". All teachers had to do when someone started acting up was to make reference to the offense being recorded for all time in his/her "permanent file", and the offender would immediately straighten up. LOL

Seriously though, we are happy to be used by the Lord to minister to the youngest and most innocent lambs in His flock. There's just something about snuggling a baby close to my heart that enables me to feel the Lord's love & compassion. When I lovingly wrap my arms around Luke and draw him close, I can feel my Father's arms lovingly embracing me. And when Luke smiles up at me, it's as if all heaven is smiling right along with him. No, being a nursery worker isn't the most "glamorous" position in the church, nor is it the most visible. But it may very well be one of the most important, at least in God's eyes. "Whatever you do for the least of these, you do for me." Matt. 25:40

No comments: