Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Strange, yet praiseworthy day....

I just had a very strange day that I hope won't be repeated anytime soon. Yesterday Luke had a low-grade fever and was pretty fussy and clingy, and since he is such a perfect, happy baby normally, I knew something was wrong. He didn't have any other symptoms other than mildly labored breathing, but I thought I should probably get him checked out either at the ER or at the office today, because we're leaving town early tomorrow morning and will be at the kids' state basketball tournament until late Saturday evening. I sure didn't want to be visiting an out-of-town ER while we're gone. I called our dr on call last night, and he said they'd try to squeeze Luke in today if they could, but if they just didn't have time to see him, I should take Luke to the ER today.

So I called first thing this morning and they said they could squeeze him in at 2:45. But they also wanted me to take Luke to the hospital for a chest x-ray sometime during the morning so they could rule out pneumonia (even though I told them he didn't have any congestion). So this is what my day looked like:
  • 7:45....wake up, get breakfast for Jaden and get him dressed for school
  • 8:15....get Jaden off to preschool
  • 8:30....call drs office for Luke's appt
  • 8:45....take shower
  • 8:47....receive call back from dr's office while IN the shower...thankfully, cell phone was conveniently handy Ü
  • 9:00....put in load of laundry for weekend
  • 10:00..take Luke to hospital for chest xray
  • 11:05..get home from hospital, trade Luke for Jaden with car running
  • 11:06..leave for Jaden's speech therapy appt at hospital
  • 11:50..arrive back home from Jaden's speech therapy
  • 12:00..fix lunch for kids, read through a few emails while eating, but no time to respond
  • 1:15...leave for Jaden's ENT appt
  • 2:35...get home from ENT appt (surgery for tubes & ABR scheduled for 3/26), this time trade Jaden for Luke with car running
  • 2:36...leave for Luke's dr appt
  • 3:00...after clearing Luke of pneumonia & ear infection, PA reports that he is wheezing, then inadvertently discovers a large, hard mass in his abdomen
  • 3:15...DR orders abdominal ultrasound and xray, casually wonders outloud to med student if kids w/DS are more susceptible to GI "tumors" and asks him to go check it out on the internet
  • 3:15...discover magical "cure" for sluggish heartbeat and meaning of scripture admonition to "pray without ceasing"
  • 3:20...take Luke to the radiology dept for second time today, they know Luke by first name
  • 3:25...call Paul to ask him to pray
  • 3:35...Paul shows up at hospital to give his support....what a guy!
  • 3:45...Luke has ultrasound
  • 4:30...Radiologist comes into room to check out mass
  • 4:35...sent back to radiology waiting area to wait for xray
  • 4:40...see Dr and med student in hall by waiting area, Dr stops to say he thinks mass is just stool, but realize that Drs don't leave their busy practice to check out ultrasound results unless they're worried it might be something serious
  • 4:45...Luke has abdominal xray
  • 4:55...leave hospital for home
  • 5:00...pull into driveway, receive call from PA to let us know that Drs are 99% sure mass is just excess stool

WHEW! What a roller-coaster day of up and down emotions and feeling like I was being "tag-teamed" by my two youngest boys, shuttling them back and forth between home and hospital. All I want to do now is curl up and sleep til Sunday, but I still need to finish washing and packing clothes for myself, Jaden, & Luke for the weekend, so guess who'll be burning the midnight oil tonight?

But at least once I do get to bed I'll be able to sleep peacefully after hearing the only news I was praying we'd hear....Luke is ok, he's just constipated! Thank you Lord!!!!!!!!

I'd better get moving!

No comments: